The ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see “How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console”
Usually this message appears when your user account has no Remote Activation DCOM permissions. Your account should be a member of the local “SMS Admins” group on your SCCM site server. Giving the “SMS Admins” group Remote Activation permissions will solve the problem.
Use the following procedure on your SCCM Site Server and your SMS Provider server (if installed on a different server):
Grant Remote Activation permissions to the SMS Admins group
- 1. From the Start menu, click Run and type Dcomcnfg.exe.
- 2. In Component Services, click Console root, expand Component Services, expand Computers, and then click My Computer. On the Action menu, click Properties.
- 3. In the My Computer Properties dialog box, on the COM Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions section, click Edit Limits.
- 4. In the Launch Permissions dialog box, click Add.
- 5. In the Select User, Computers, or Groups dialog box, in the Enter the object names to select (examples): box, type SMS Admins and click OK.
- 6. In the Permissions for SMS Admins section, select the check box to allow Remote Activation.
- 7. Click OK twice, and then close Computer Management.