Have you ever needed to remotely restart a Windows XP or Windows 2003 machine? Several scripted options exist (e.g., in the Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit). However, you can accomplish the same task from the Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
- Open a computer management console for the machine you want to restart. I usually right-click the My Computer desktop icon and select Manage, then right-click Computer Management and select Connect to another computer. From the list, select the remote system you want to restart. Click OK.
- In the new window, right-click Computer Management and select Properties.
- In the dialog box that opens, select the Advanced tab.
- Click the Startup and recovery Settings button.
- Click Shut Down. The dialog box that opens will give you some shutdown options (e.g., Restart, Power down). Select the option you want and click OK.